Its Earth day! This time year we dedicate a conscious effort to help the planet. We are borrowing this earth from the next generation and we should leave it better than we found it. Consider your carbon foot print not just in the larger scale but in the simple things we do at home.
Here are the top 10 things you can do.
- Save energy at home. Choose energy-saving appliances if they’re available. Look for Energy Star!
- Buy locally, or grow your own! Reduce air pollution caused by food and goods transport.
- Dispose of solid and liquid wastes and medications safely. (Are there paint cans sitting around?)
- Reduce. Cut back on the amount of ‘stuff’ that could later end up as waste.
- Reuse. Upcycle! Take something that is disposable and transform it into something of greater use and value.
- Recycle metals, plastics and paper.
- E-cycle. Recycle and/or properly dispose of electronic waste such as computers and other gadgets.
- Don’t litter! Properly dispose of trash and waste.
- When purchasing goods, opt for sustainable, recycled or reused resources. Choose items in less packaging.
- Pass on gas! Take public transportation, carpool, plan your day to reduce trips and vehicle emissions.
Where can you go to shop local? Try a garage sale, Second hand stores, Estate sales, Antique shops, Community Resale Events, Shop at Etsy.
Don’t think that our efforts won’t go unnoticed. Its important to know that every little bit helps.The more planning in your home or office you take to process through your paperwork and “stuff” you own, you’ll discover that you’ll have less to sort through on a daily basis. Why not dedicate Earth day to an effort that benefits you and your family. This will save you time and money as well. We can’t just think that it is a corporation’s obligation to find a solution for a better environment, we can take it seriously and do what we can as well.